Thursday, August 13, 2009

(500) Days of Summer





--PG-13-- This movie made me angry. I go to movies to escape and become engrossed in a fantasy world...not to be slapped with a depressing story about a man that loves a woman that is totally selfish and ignorant of how her decisions affect those around her. And to top it off, everything works out for her in the end. Not teaching her a damn thing.

What irks me more than anything however is that the movie was well made in every aspect. I have no complaints about the movie as a piece of art, just a major complaint about the message it is sending to an already self absorbed world.

A funny thing about it is that most people won't understand what I am saying. Most people will identify with Summer. They won't recognize that how she acts and behaves has a direct influence on others. That while she may have "covered her basis" by stating "I am not looking for a relationship" everything she did was contrary to that statement. Treating him like a boyfriend, doing "couple" things lead to mixed signals that can and did become emotionally crippling.

Anyway, I don't recommend this to anyone.



cah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't happen to have some experience in this arena, huh?