Saturday, April 21, 2007

Fracture




--R-- There isn't much to say about this film so this is going to be short.

Anthony Hopkins playing the alleged murderer Ted Crawford as always did an admirable job, Ryan Gosling as ADA Willy Beachum did an adequate job. Gosling's whole problem was the eyes; he was playing an intense, anal retentive individual that was driven to be as perfect as he could be in every way. Throughout the film his eyes were distant, empty, some would say soulful...anything but intense, that fact bothered me throughout the movie.

In addition, within 10 minutes it was obvious what Crawford was doing and how he was going to get himself away with the murder of his wife. Furthermore, Crawford was a highly intelligent and very meticulous individual, how he didn't recognize the flaw in thinking about his double jeopardy notion confounds me. It was totally out of character for him and didn't make sense.

On the whole the movie was enjoyable and hard to watch in all the right places, it just fell a little flat for me, especially considering the remarkable leading cast it employed.

cah

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well... it sounds like i enjoyed Fracture considerably more than you did. Gosling's performance didn't distract me and I didn't consider him to be an anal retentive perfectionist, just someone trying their best to move up the societal ladder and attain what comes with it (money, power, etc), and what you took for wannabe soulful eyes I took as being focused on his endgoal and not the task at hand, which led to his professional fall in grace. Once that happened though he became very focused and that faraway look disappeared. I'm a big fan, I thought he did a great job. Hopkins did a good job as well. However, you are right on the money regarding his character missing the Double Jeopardy error. But at the same time pride gets in the way of very obvious things all the time and Hopkins character was quite prideful to the point of insanity and crazy can miss the obvious anytime... so I'm quick to forgive that one. you need to come up with a rating system (stars, clapping, etc and maybe expand that to bargain matinee price only, opening night full-price material, wait for dvd, etc.) Keep 'em coming!!

Christopher said...

you are right about the rating system...i'll think on that and implement one when it comes to me.

i do understand your point about his eyes, my problem was that goslings character was constantly pursuing Type A personality traits in all aspects save his eyes. his clothes, his car, (there was a reason they showed him doing pull-ups), even the way he interacted with others. as far as him being focused on his endgame, while that is certainly true you can't forget the line in which he says "it is my fault, I still think everyone would have made this mistake, but I made it because I wasn't ready." That is a very egotistical line.

in addition i to like gosling, that is why i commented about the film having a stellar cast.

Christopher said...

...also as i said in my review the movie was far too predictable and didn't compensate for it.

Anonymous said...

blah blah blah... you knew he'd swapped guns with the cop? I didn't, and they just as easily could've had hopkins get away with it so I didn't feel it was predictable until they introduced the double jeopardy issue into. all in all i enjoyed it and would recommend it to pretty much anybody. 4 stars? No. But 3? Sure.

Christopher said...

You know as well as I do that when certain movies are made there are certain expectations that come with it. Due to its cast Fracture carried with it expectations, I am just saying that it failed to meet my expectations. I didn't say I wouldn't recommend it, I just said I thought it was predictable and Gosling could have done a better job.